What is uni-assist?
uni-assist e.V. is an organization whose members include more than 160 German higher education institutions, the Conference of University Vice Chancellors (HRK) and the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). uni-assist is intended to make it easier for international students to apply to German institutions and, at the same time, to ease the burden on the institutions when it comes to selecting their international students.
If you want to study at an institution that is a member of the uni-assist network, you can benefit from a simplified application process and apply to several institutions at the same time. To find out which institutions are members of uni-assist, click here. 
As you probably know, the Saarland University is a member of this network.
Applying to uni-assist
So you want to apply to uni-assist for a study at Saarland University. First of all you have to apply in two different ways: online and by post. If not done yet, please register at uni-assist. When registered, please log in.
Here you can find a detailed outline of how to apply at uni-assist, which is:
- Fill in the online application form. When asked whether you apply for a study-preparing German language course (point 7.), tick “yes”
- Print and sign it
- Submit the completed form and all required documents to uni-assist online. Submit the printed, signed application form and all required documents to uni-assist by post
- Transfer the fee
Here you can view a completed sample application form. Required documents are:
- Completed, printed and signed application form
- Officially certified copy of your original secondary higher education diploma that lists your grades
- Officially certified copies of German translations of all relevant certificates (Note: certificates in English do not need to be translated)
- Complete curriculum vitae covering the period from the start of school education until the date of your application
(Important: Please include the date you entered Germany!)
- (if applicable) proof of an university entrance examination passed in your home country
- (if applicable) academic records from universities or higher education institutions where previously enrolled containing individual subject marks or average grade obtained
It’s very important that all copies of your documents are officially certified and your application is signed! Never send originals! You also need to include sworn translations of all copies that are neither English nor German.
Address for sending the application:
Universität des Saarlandes
c/o uni-assist e.V.
Since the 1st May 2016 an examination of certificates is free of charge for recognized refugees who submitted a consultation certificate (Beratungsbescheinigung) from a uni-assist member university (UdS) that recommends an examination of certificates free of charge. You can get this consultation certificate at the Welcome Center after a short but mandatory discussion. For this discussion please bring your passport, your residence permit (Aufenthaltstitel) or some other document that identifies you.
For more information on this topic check out this uni-assist page.